Anti-Wrinkle Injections – Awesome Guide to Botox® treatment
Anti-wrinkle injections are given to reverse the effects of ageing. They contain a naturally occurring toxin that relaxes the facial muscles and prevents wrinkle formation. The resting tone of these muscles gets abolished which minimises static lines as well. These are used to treat frown lines, crows feet, surprise lines.
Anti-wrinkle injections are all the rage right now. Where ever you read, in the papers or on the net, there are hundreds of articles on
We have prepared this article to provide all the details required for you to make a decision.
Or, you may book a consultation with our experts for a complete facial analysis.
- 1 Anti-Wrinkle Injections – Awesome Guide to Botox® treatment
- 1.1 What are wrinkles?
- 1.2 Basics of anti-ageing treatment with anti-ageing injections (in a nutshell)
- 1.3 How do Anti-Wrinkle Injections work?
- 1.4 What happens in an anti-wrinkle injection treatment session?
- 1.5 Get In Touch
- 1.6 Faq’s
- 1.7 Areas Treated with Anti-Wrinkle Injections
What are wrinkles?
A wrinkle, also known as a rhytide, is a fold or crease in the skin. This skin-crease occur because the skin loses elasticity and becomes saggy.
There are two types of wrinkles.
‘Dynamic wrinkles‘, which appear when the muscles move to create facial expressions and ‘Static wrinkles‘ which appear even when the face is at rest.
Basics of anti-ageing treatment with anti-ageing injections (in a nutshell)
Let me explain this in a little detail. (Trust me this little detail will serve as the foundation for understanding everything about anti-ageing treatments.)
The skin has three layers
- Outer most layer, called epidermis, contains colour producing cells(melanocytes) and skin cells for body defence.
- The middle layer, called dermis, contains elastin and collagen fibres. These provide strength and elasticity to the skin(i.e. The ability to snap back)
- The innermost layer is the fat which gives smooth contour.
Just below the skin lies the muscle layer containing all the muscles of facial expressions. These muscles move to make us smile, laugh, frown, speak, show anger etc. These muscles are attached to the bone below and the skin above. As the muscles move, the facial-skin moves along with it.
Now, when we are young, the skin is thick and elastic. So, muscle movement hardly forms any wrinkles. But ageing causes the skin to thin out, and the muscle activity is far more visible as wrinkles. Gradually these convert to static lines which are visible even when the muscles are at rest causing the ‘Always angry’ or the ‘Always anxious’ look.
We have two choices now.
Minimise the unwanted muscle movement
Anti-wrinkle injections relax the facial muscles and get rid of the dynamic wrinkles. At the same time, they make the static lines better by abolishing the resting muscle tone.
Very deep skin-crease not responding to cosmetic procedures is filled with dermal fillers to smoothen out the skin.
This is all about the
How do Anti-Wrinkle Injections work?
Anti-wrinkle injections contain purified and titrated form of a naturally occurring toxin called Botulinum Toxin from a bacteria(Clostridium botulinum). This toxin acts at the muscle and nerve junction and blocks neurotransmission resulting in loss of muscle activity. The receptors get irreversibly blocked but over time new receptors are formed, and the muscle activity reappears in about four to six months. This is precisely how long your effect will last. It usually takes 5 to 7 days for the toxin to act adequately.
What happens in an anti-wrinkle injection treatment session?
- You will be called at the surgeon’s office at a previously fixed time.
- You will be expected to turn up on time without any makeup.
- The attending nurse will hand over the consent form for you to read and sign. Read it carefully. If you any more concerns now is the time to discuss.
- Once you consent to the procedure, some preoperative photographs will be taken to establish a baseline and compare results in the future.
- You will be taken to the procedure room where you lie comfortably on the procedure chair.
- Usually, the procedure is done by anesthetising your skin with a topical ointment, so it is not painful.
- The surgeon then marks all the areas to be treated and may take a couple of photographs for record keeping.
- A syringe with a thin needle is then used to inject small amounts of Botox® in the treatment areas.
- Once the treatment is complete your face is cleaned and a topical cream is applied.
- Before you leave the clinic, you will be explained all about the aftercare and a printed post-procedure sheet will be provided to you.
Dr. Vishal Purohit
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Get In Touch
What are the benefits of Anti-Wrinkle Injections?
Botulinum-toxin injection can be beneficial in those with early signs of ageing, or as a value-added part of facial rejuvenation procedure.
- They are commonly used for dynamic and static wrinkles on the forehead, around the eyes, chin, neck and lips,
- They are used to relieve spasticity in various neurological diseases.
- They are used for the treatment of excessive sweating in palm amd soles.
- They reduce muscle activity while facial animation to tone down the visible emotional response giving a calm and composed look.
- They improve the appearance of deep static wrinkles and take away years from your face.
Who are the best candidates ?
Wrinkle injections can be used to treat mild to moderate static wrinkles and most of the dynamic lines of the face. An ideal candidate is in good physical health, understands the procedure, and has realistic expectations of the outcome. You are likely to be pleased with the results if your goal is to smooth the wrinkles and tone down the exaggerated emotional look.
When will I see the result ?
The result is appreciated 5 to 7 days after the treatment. The results from wrinkle injection are temporary lasting 4 to 6 months depending on the dosage and the area of injection. For optimal results, additional treatment sessions are encouraged.
What are the risks and safety considerations ?
The administration of wrinkle injection is operator dependent. An inexperienced health care provider may end up giving inferior results. Inadvertent injection into the eyelid muscle can cause temporary ptosis, or a needle to the lateral brow can cause sagging of the lateral brow. Anyways the effect doesn’t last forever, so any misadventure gradually becomes alright with time. Our trained team of Medical and nursing professionals have performed many such treatment procedures. We give utmost importance to patient safety. Botox® is also a commonly performed cosmetic treatment procedure throughout the world.
There is a real risk of allergic reaction. If that happens, additional treatment may be necessary. Wrinkle injections should not be administered to patients on blood thinners and in Pregnancy. Some of the most common side effects include: bruising at injection site, slight numbness, and temporary redness, swelling, pain/tenderness, or discolouration.
What are the after-procedure instructions and precautions ?
After a wrinkle injection treatment, expect some redness and swelling for a few hours. Wrinkle injections require very minimal downtime, allowing patients to return to work and their normal activities directly following treatment. For the first 24 hours, individuals may be instructed to refrain from strenuous activities and excessive sun or heat exposure. We will provide with you After-Procedure Information Sheet, please read that well and follow instructions sincerely.
Areas Treated with Anti-Wrinkle Injections
Crow’s Feet wrinkles or Laugh Lines are the wrinkles present around the outer corners of the eyes. They get exaggerated on smiling or laughing and are the first give away sign of aging …
Unwanted activity of the forehead muscle causes wrinkles or permanent lines on the forehead which makes one look old and anxious. A smooth forehead conveys a calm …
Downturned mouth corners give a sad and old look to the face making it aesthetically less pleasing. Lips are held in position by the delicate balance of an opposing group of muscles. As we age …
A few muscles control expression of anger present between the eyebrows. These are the Corrugator muscles on the sides, and Procerus muscle in the centre, the unwanted activity of these muscle causes …
Teeth grinding is also called Bruxism. Unconscious clenching of teeth whether awake or asleep may result in jaw pains and tooth problems like chipping and erosion. It may also lead to headaches & …
Wide jaws is not a desireable female characteristic. Widened jaw gives a square dynamic to the shape of the face. Though this looks impressive in a male, it might not make the female face look attractive....
Sweaty palms and soles are a symbol of nervousness or anxiety. Sweaty palms and soles may also affect the quality of your life. Botox injection treatment provides excellent relief …