What is the Process of Removing Face Implants?
Hello, everyone! It’s Dr. Vishal Purohit here from Kalpana Aesthetics. Today, I want to discuss an important topic – the process of removing facial implants. Face implants are used to enhance a person’s beauty. Although face implants are placed after thorough planning the results may not be as expected or rarely there may be some complications arising from the surgery. As a plastic surgeon, it is my responsibility to talk about the advantages of a procedure as well as the disadvantages, and in case something untoward happens what are the available treatment options.
Face Implant removal is done for reasons mainly :
- Dissatisfaction with the results
- Complications arising from the surgery
- A desire to opt for alternative treatments
- Personal preference
Whatever the reason may be, it’s essential to understand the process involved in removing facial implants even before getting one. So, let’s dive right in!
Step 1: Consultation
Understand the Patient’s Needs and Medical History
Before beginning the removal process, it’s crucial to have a thorough understanding of the patient’s needs, preferences, and medical history. This involves a detailed consultation where we discuss:
- Reasons for implant removal: Gaining insight into the patient’s reasons for removal will help determine the best course of action. I definitely do not ask personal questions but the results of an implant removal will have a profound effect that is not reversible. for example, if the desire to get an implant removed is just because of a minimal discrepancy removal will solve the issue. The results are not always exactly what we hoped for.
- Medical history: Assessing the patient’s medical history is important to identify any potential complications or risks.
- Expectations: It’s vital to set realistic expectations and discuss the possible outcomes of implant removal. After implant removal, the face will go back to its original form. Face implants not only help achieve a better face contour they are also used in cases of previous skeletal deformity due to past injury or past surgery. in the cases where implants were placed purely to enhance the face, the face will revert to its original, and the change may not be so evident but when the implant is placed to correct a disfigurement of the face then the change will be much more profound.
Step 2: Preparing for Surgery
Scheduling and Pre-Operative Care
Once the decision is made to proceed with the removal, the next steps involve:
- Scheduling the surgery: Choose a date that works best for both the patient and the surgeon.
- Pre-operative care: Provide the patient with detailed instructions on pre-operative care, which may include stopping certain medications and arranging for post-operative assistance.
Step 3: The Removal Procedure
The Actual Surgery
The removal of facial implants typically involves the following steps:
- Anesthesia: The surgeon administers anesthesia to ensure the patient is comfortable and pain-free during the procedure. Depending on the location of the implant general anesthesia or local anesthesia is used.
- Incision: The surgeon makes a small incision along the original surgical scar or in a discreet location to minimize scarring.
- Implant removal: The surgeon carefully removes the implant while preserving the surrounding tissue.
- Closure: The incision is closed using sutures, and a dressing is applied to protect the wound.
Step 4: Post-Operative Care
Recovery and Follow-Up
After the surgery, the patient will need to follow specific guidelines for a smooth recovery, such as:
- Pain management: Prescribing pain medication to manage discomfort during the initial healing phase.
- Infection prevention: Providing instructions on proper wound care to prevent infection.
- Activity restrictions: Advise the patient to avoid strenuous activities and follow a gradual return to normal routines.
- Follow-up appointments: Scheduling regular follow-up appointments to monitor the healing process and address any concerns.
The process of removing facial implants is a delicate procedure that requires expertise and precision. At Kalpana Aesthetics, we prioritize our patient’s well-being and strive to provide the best possible care. If you’re considering facial implant removal, we’re here to help you every step of the way. Feel free to reach out to our clinic in Jaipur for a consultation.