Cosmetic Blepharoplasty: Best Solution for Eyebags and Hanging Eyelids
Definition: The term Blepharoplasty is used to denote surgeries of the upper or lower eyelid. In simple words, any surgery done on the upper or lower eyelids to correct its shape is called blepharoplasty.
Cosmetic Blepharoplasty is performed to reverse the change of ageing such as droopy upper eyelids or puffy lower eyelids aka Eyebags.
As we age the collagen and elastin ligaments of the skin reduce making the skin loose simultaneously soft tissue volume loss along with gravity brings the eyebrow and eyelids downwards and results in hanging upper eyelids.
Loss soft tissue volume from the cheeks causes the lower eyelids to bulge out causing puffy eyes or eye bags.
Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty
Drooping upper eyelids fall like a curtain over the eyes and make a person look tired and sleepy. Upper eyelid blepharoplasty opens up the eyes to make you look more aware and attentive.
Cosmetic Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty
Loose skin of the lower eyelids cause bulging called commonly as fuffy eyelids. Puffy eyelids make you look old and sad. A lower eyelid blepharoplasty can easily treat this.
- 1 Cosmetic Blepharoplasty: Best Solution for Eyebags and Hanging Eyelids
- 1.1 Factors affecting the Face Aesthetics
- 1.2 Get In Touch
- 1.3 Faq’s
- 1.3.1 What is Blepharoplasty ?
- 1.3.2 What are the benefits of Blepharoplasty surgery ?
- 1.3.3 Who are the best candidates for Blepharoplasty surgery ?
- 1.3.4 What are the before procedure instructions ?
- 1.3.5 How is the Blepharoplasty surgery performed ?
- 1.3.6 When will I see the results ?
- 1.3.7 What are the risks and safety considerations ?
- 1.3.8 What are the After-Surgery instructions and precautions ?
The main focal point of a face is the eyes. Technically called the ocular or periocular region is the first part of a face that a person notices in routine person to person interaction.
The region around the eyes is dynamic. And essential to convey mood and emotion. Any disharmony is immediately noticed.
Factors affecting the Face Aesthetics
During the natural process of aging, the skin gradually loses collagen and elastin fibers which give strength elasticity and tightness to the skin. Along with this the soft tissue and fat also disappear. Earlier fat loss from the cheek makes the eyelid fat prominent and bulging forwards.
There is normally healthy fat present below the eyeballs to cushion the eyes. This orbital fat is kept in check by an ‘Orbital Septum’ which keeps it tucked inside the orbit. Aging loosens this septum and orbital fat starts to bulge outwards causing puffy eyes.
shape and position of various parts of the face are also linked to our genetic traits. like the shape of the nose, eye color, eyebrows, lips etc. Some people are just born with it. This is a very important cause and very easily correctable.
A few diseases result in increased water retention in the skin tissue between the cells such as renal problems or heart problems. Puffy eyes in such patients disappear once the ailment is cured. Usually, additional treatment for puffy eyes is not required.
Dr. Vishal Purohit
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Get In Touch
What is Blepharoplasty ?
Blepharoplasty is basically an Eye Surgery of upper eyelid to correct the droopy eyelid. This cosmetic surgery technique removes extra fat and skin from the eyelids to correct hanging upper eyelids and lower eyelid bags.
What are the benefits of Blepharoplasty surgery ?
- Hanging upper eyelids may interfere with peripheral vision. A blepharoplasty surgery is the only option to restore the visual field.
- It rejuvenates the peri-orbital region making the eyes more open and wide.
- Removing lower eyelid bags sheds off years from the face.
- Removes the fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
- It may also be combined with an Eyebrow Lift surgery to rejuvenate the entire upper face.
Who are the best candidates for Blepharoplasty surgery ?
Individuals with mild to severe lid laxity are the best candidates for blepharoplasty surgery. There is no age limit. It is preferable for the patient to be in good physical health without any preexisting eye problems like dry eyes or infections and most importantly must have realistic expectations
What are the before procedure instructions ?
You are asked to come to the surgical suite at least 2 hours before the time slot allotted for surgery. It essential to come empty stomach. Please carefully read and follow all the pre-operative instructions given to you at the time of appointment.
You will be given time immediately before the surgery to discuss any last minute doubts with the surgeon. once you ready you will be taken to the operation theater. You will remain asleep throughout the surgery.
How is the Blepharoplasty surgery performed ?
The surgery is usually done under general anesthesia where the patient is asleep throughout the procedure. Sometimes though it may be carried out under Local anesthesia with sedation as well. There is no pain during the procedure.
Upper eyelid surgery
A long incision is given in the upper eyelid skin crease as in the picture below. Extra skin and fat are trimmed. If required eyebrow elevation surgery (eyebrow lift) may also be performed from the same incision. The incision lies in the natural skin crease and is well hidden.
Lower eyelid surgery
A long incision is placed in the middle of the lower eyelid. Sometimes this incision may be advanced sideways beyond the level of the eye. Extra fat in the eyelid bulge is removed or rearranged. In patients with a drooping outer angle of the eye further tightening of eyelid tissue is done to give a youthful appearance.
When will I see the results ?
Results are best appreciated around 3 weeks after the surgery. Tissue healing takes 1 to 2 weeks. There will be mild swelling around the eyes for 1-2 days. Sutures are removed on the 5th day after surgery.
What are the risks and safety considerations ?
Like all surgical procedures, there are risks relayed to surgery, anesthesia, and sutures. Please read the Blepharoplasty Informed Consent document thoroughly and completely to understand the risks involved.
What are the After-Surgery instructions and precautions ?
- Maximum discomfort occurs in the first few days, improving each day thereafter. A cold compress is advised for the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Expect temporary swelling of the eyelids, tightness of lids, bruising, dryness or itching. The eyes may feel sticky.
- A few eye-drops are prescribed to help with dryness and itching. Sutures are removed in 5 to 7 days.
- Please read and follow the post-procedure instructions carefully and completely.